twitter/freelancer

Friday, July 23, 2010

DECISION MAKING SHOULD BE ETHICAL

My Level of Development”
Zelah Marie Dasmariñas-Gorres
MPMD - USC

We begin to determine what is RIGHT from WRONG when we were kids. When I was a kid, I regard my parents as an authority figure. Every time I am beaten or scolded by my parents I always make it a point that I wont do it again. The stingy feeling of the stick on my butt hurts. And every time I see my mom bragging my grades to her friends, I also feel happy. Thus, I study hard to earn the stars again and again. As a child, we determine an action as right when we are praised or rewarded. While we identified actions as wrong when we are punished or reprimanded. And this level of development is called Pre-conventional level.

As we grow, we move up to another level, learning our curves thru experiences. As an adolescence, I do whatever my peer does,too. In most decision I make, I put into consideration what my friends may say. It shows group loyalties under the Conventional level of development. But sometimes adults act the same way too, I believe.

As an adult, I am expected to know what is ethically right and wrong. I do what is taught as a Christian. But if religion is not the only basis of ethics then I'm not sure if I am doing it right. The Post-conventional level of development focuses on right as a morally accepted act. It is derived from the Principles of a universal point of view to a reasonable person. (That's a lot!)

Based on the class discussion and knowing how these levels of Development are defined, I'm not so sure which level my development falls. I would say, I am in the early stage of the Post-conventional level. Most of my decision in life are based on morally accepted norms though person as I am I know a very few of my decisions are influenced by my parents, friends or by how people may react to my decision. But definitely taking the moral side of the issue. I have a close family friend 3 weeks pregnant and was very puzzled on what she has to do. I knew she planned to have the baby aborted. She was very afraid of her parents and was also afraid to be put to shame. But as a friends, I went to her without even asked for my opinion and told her that “ A problem is never solved by another problem. A crime is never a solution to a problem even how grave it could be. Life is always blessing. Thus whatever your plan is take into consideration that that person you're bearing now has his own rights to life and has to be respected.” I believe my advice to her was an advice that will be given by any concerned individual who values life. I considered my church decision on abortion and I took into consideration the moral aspect of the issue. Thus, I showed a Post-conventional level of development.

No comments:

Post a Comment